Worksheet 2: Choose the Correct option
By the time she arrived at the party, they __________ for hours.
A) had danced B) had been dancing C) danced D) were dancing
How long __________ before the electricity was finally restored?
A) they were working B) had they been working C) did they work D) have they been working
- When I met him, he __________ a novel for three hours.
A) had been reading B) has been reading C) was reading D) reads
- By the time she woke up, the sun __________ for hours.
A) shone B) had shone C) was shining D) been shining
- They were exhausted because they __________ soccer all afternoon.
A) were playing B) had played C) had been playing D) played
- When we arrived, they __________ the decorations for the party.
A) have been preparing B) were preparing C) had prepared D) had been preparing
- She looked tired because she __________ in the garden for hours.
A) was working B) had been working C) worked D) has been working
- By the time I got home, he __________ dinner for the family.
A) cooks B) had cooked C) was cooking D) had been cooking
- How long __________ each other before they decided to get married?
A) had they known B) they knew C) did they know D) do they know
- I was out of breath because I __________ for an hour before the race.
A) ran B) had been running C) run D) had run